Re: Slow simplify, integrate in 5.2 for Mac
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg61753] Re: Slow simplify, integrate in 5.2 for Mac
- From: carlos at colorado.edu
- Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 03:25:33 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Noticed the same trend 2 years ago. As a result I kept 4.2 as standard version for research work. It is also very stable. [I even have 2.2 still running - with crutches - under Classic, for benchmarks. That was an elegant and efficient version though output typesetting is substandard. Whoever managed the original FE implementation must have been a superprogrammer.] For instruction, computational efficiency is not often an issue so for class demos I normally run 5 on a G4 laptop since students and labs usually have >= 5.1 Not sure if the slowdown problem is endemic to macs, or occurs on other platforms. Other posters might comment on that.