preserving order of eigenvalues in a matrix diagonalization

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61819] preserving order of eigenvalues in a matrix diagonalization
  • From: grub_snuffler at yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:17:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm trying to diagonalize a matrix in Mathematica, but I need the eigenvalues
to stay in order.  So, for instance, for the initial matrix m,

some function, say "diagonalize[m]", should just return m.

If I use

diagonalize[m_] := Transpose[Eigenvectors[m]].m.Eigenvectors[m]

it returns {{3, 0}, {0, 2}}.    I can certainly write my own routine by
hand, but I thought I'd ask if there's an easy way to ask Mathematica to
preserve the order.

Thanks,
john