Re: Re: Re: inconsistency with Inequality testing and Floor (long)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60155] Re: [mg60119] Re: [mg60079] Re: inconsistency with Inequality testing and Floor (long)
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 02:27:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 3 Sep 2005, at 15:06, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> On 1 Sep 2005, at 13:13, Richard J. Fateman wrote:
>

>> Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
>>

>>> You cannot expect inexact numbers, particularly "borderline
>>> cases" as
>>> in this example, to obey the usual laws of arithmetic.
>>>

>> These inconsistencies are not inherent in computer arithmetic,
>> even floating-point arithmetic. They represent choices made by the
>> designers of Mathematica.  In particular, choosing to allow two
>> distinct numbers to be numerically equal leads to problems. I
>> wonder if there is some compensating good reason for this choice
>> in Mathematica. I am not aware of any reason good enough to
>> justify this.
>>
>> Calling a bug a feature does not fix it.
>>
>> RJF
>>

> I can see a number of reasons for keeping numerical equality between
> approximate numbers in Mathematica -the main is that it makes many
> things simpler, in particular in  numerical polynomial algebra (for
> example in numerical Groebner basis). It is not strictly  necessary
> but it is convenient in interval based computations, which is what
> significance arithmetic essentially does. And by the way, while
> writing a review of Hans Stetter's "Numerical Polynomial Algebra", I
> have found that  Mathematica's significance arithmetic with its
> automatic precision tracking performs performs very well when
> combined with   backward error based techniques that Stetter uses; in
> fact quite a lot better than the other well known systems he was
> using. I could even send you some examples of Matheamtica's
> superiority but in view of the countless disputes on this topic that
> you have initiated and that never get anywhere,   I think it would be
> pointless. If you are interested you can read my review when it
> appears in Math Reviews as actually discusses Mathematica's numerics.
>
> Andrzej Kozlowski

It came to my mind that it might be a good idea to elucidate the
above remarks somewhat. I have no intention to engage in any more
polemics with RJF  but I think for the benefit of others it may be
useful to try to explain what seem to me to be concrete benefits of
the Mathematica approach to approximate computations. More precisely:
I believe that this approach has shown itself to have clear
advantages in at least one important area of computational
mathematics known as "numerical polynomial algebra". I think this
aspect of Mathematica has not been sufficiently advertised, probably
because the subject is rather technical and difficult to explain so
that the only person who can really do it properly is Daniel
Lichtblau but natural modesty prevents him from putting as much
stress on this as it deserves.  While I cannot match Daniel's
knowledge and experience in this area I have the advantage of not
needing to worry about engaging in self-praise when writing about
this topic. On the other hand I do not want to try to write a very
long essay o both because this is not the proper forum for this sort
of thing and because trying to do so would expose the superficiality
of my knowledge of this field. So I will be rather vague and if any
one wants to know more I refer all questions to Daniel ;-)

Polynomial Algebra is primarily concerned with the solution of
systems of polynomial equations. It is one of the oldest areas of
mathematics going back back to the ancient Babylonians. Linear
Algebra is a special case where all polynomials have degree =1.
I think few people who know about modern symbolic algebra would deny
that Polynomial Algebra is one of the most important areas, even if
one does not include Linear Algebra as part of it. Until recently
there has been a very big difference in the way Linear Algebra
(degree 1 case) and Polynomial Algebra (degree >=2 case) has been
implemented in CAS systems. In the case of linear algebra there are
usually quite different algorithms for solving the corresponding
problems in a symbolic (or exact) and in numerical setting. The
reason for this is primarily performance: when working with
approximate (floating point) numbers specially designed "approximate"
algorithms perform much better than the "exact ones". The situation
for polynomial systems of degree >=2 has been quite different. Until
relatively recently there existed essentially no (multivariate)
Numerical Polynomial Algebra in the same sense as Numerical Linear
Algebra  mentioned above. There are several reasons for this, the
main one being the dominance of the field of multivariate polynomial
algebra by the famous Groebner Basis algorithm due to Bruno
Buchberger. This is one of the most important algorithms in all of
computer algebra but it has one striking weakness: it is numerically
unstable. In other words, when used with floating point numbers it
may produce correct answers for certain values but wildly wrong ones
for others. I don't want to go into the reason for this but they are
caused by the need to choose a "term order". In any case, what this
meant in practise was that faced with a problem in numerical
polynomial algebra requiring a Groebner basis almost all CAS would do
the following: they would either rationalise the coefficients and
solve the exact Groebner bassi problem using Buchberger"s algorithm
or just go ahead and apply it directly to (fixed precision) floating
point data. The first approach involves a big performance hit (in
fact many problems can"t be solved int his way at all) while the
second risks returning a completely meaningless answer. This has been
the situation and as far as I know still is the situation with all
the standard CAS systems except one. Before I reveal the name of the
exception let me state  that it is not the old and now defunct CAS
system that RJF was involved with. As we are not supposed to mention
the names of other CAS here let me just refer to it as the FF system
( you can think of your own reasons for this choice of name).
  I would never even consider suggesting that RJF is anything but
altruistic and objective in his periodic assaults on Mathematica but
but I also note that he has sent me in the past personal messages
with remarks like "The FF System can do this while Mathematica
can't". For some reason I completely forgot to reply "Matheamtica has
a Namerical Groebner Basis and has had it for nearly a decade, how
about FF ?".
Indeed, Daniel Lichtblau succeeded many years ago in implementing a
numerical-symbolic Groebner basis, which is used by NSolve and
perhaps some other polynomial algebra functions. It works pretty well
as I have had the chance to check myself while writing a review of a
new book on "Numerical Polynomial Algebra" by Hans Stetter. It means
that NSolve can deal with problems that other systems cannot without
expert  human intervention. And the key to Daniel's implementation is
the Mathematica model of big num arithmetic, based on what is known
as "significance arithmetic". The key role is played by the fact that
thanks to significance aritmetic Mathematica can perform automatic
tracking of Precision/Accuracy. RJF has in the past written
dismissively of this as of something that can be of use only to
"sloppy people". In a sense he is of course right. Someone skilled in
polynomial algebra and numerical analysis (which I suspect is still a
set containing only a few individuals) does not need a numerical
Groebner basis, as Hans Stetter impressively demonstrates in his
book. But not all of us have the time, the sill an the patience to
overcome our sloppiness at dealing with rather esoteric numerical
issues.
This may be a good point to say a few words about this issue of
equality between approximate numbers and why it is useful to have it
in Mathematica. The basic fact is that (over simplifying somewhat)
algebra works with equalities while analysis inequalities. To see
what i mean compare the two equivalent (over the real numbers)
statements: a=b and  b-epsilon<a<b+epsilon for every epsilon >0. The
first belongs to algebra, the second to analysis. From the point of
view of analysis equality is too "unstable", even the slightest
perturbation of the parameters will break it. Thus analysis are
generally experts in dealing with inequalities, algebraist in solving
equations. Numerical analysis is really a subspecies of analysis and
thus it prefers inequalities to equalities. Suppose however we are
interested in "numerical algebra'. From the point of view of a
computer algebra has a big advantage over analysis: it's algorithms
being of discrete nature are much easier to implement as computer
programs. But if we are going to do algebra we need to deal with
equality.  So what can be the meaning of an equality a==b where a and
be are inexact numbers, for example how should we interpret an
equation f[x]=0 where f is a polynomial whose coefficients are
inexact numbers? There are two basic approaches. The more common one
is to interpret an equation as always involving exact numbers only.
Instead we talk of an approximate root of such an equation by which
we mean an exact root of another exact equation whose coefficients
are very close to the coefficients of our original equation. We can
then use ordinary algebra to find such a root, but when  veryfying if
it is a 'close enough" root or trying to refine it we use methods
which essentially belong to analysis. If x1 is our "approximate root"
we do not talk of the equality f[x1]==0 but we talk of the "validity"
of x1 as a root of the original equation. x1 is a valid root if it is
a root of a polynomial equation whose coefficients are sufficiently
close to those of the original equation. This involves dealing with
inequalities.
Mathematica does not take this approach. Instead it represents
approximate numbers as intervals with centre at some fixed value
whose lenght reflects the precision or accuracy of our data. These
intervals can then be directly substituted into various algebraic
formulae; they can be added , multiplied etc. In other words we can
do "algebra' with them. Since we want to do algebra with such
quantities we need also the notion of equality. Of course the rules
of our "algebra" as were as of our equality will not be quite the
same as those we are used to and we will end up with some unintuitive
results (wand this is made somewhat worse by the fact that in order
to improve performance significance arithmetic is only an
approximation to interval arithmetic). So there is a price that has
to be paid. But the gains such as automatic tracing of precision and
ultimately numerical Groebner basis are, in my opinion, worth this
price.
Finally, I have to say that recently a great deal of progress has
been made in the area of numerical polynomial algebra. In particular
Kondratieff, a student of Stetter, has described (in his PhD thesis)
a fixed precision implementation of numerical Groebner basis. This
approach may even be in some ways superior than Mathematica's but as
much as I have understood of it seems considerably more complicated
and even less intuitive than significance arithmetic.

Andrzej Kozlowski