Re: inconsistency with Inequality testing and Floor

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60178] Re: inconsistency with Inequality testing and Floor
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 01:26:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <dfbf58$iom$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at akikoz.net> wrote:

> And by the way, while
> writing a review of Hans Stetter's "Numerical Polynomial Algebra", I
> have found that  Mathematica's significance arithmetic with its
> automatic precision tracking performs performs very well when
> combined with   backward error based techniques that Stetter uses; in
> fact quite a lot better than the other well known systems he was
> using. I could even send you some examples of Matheamtica's
> superiority but in view of the countless disputes on this topic that
> you have initiated and that never get anywhere,   I think it would be
> pointless. If you are interested you can read my review when it
> appears in Math Reviews as actually discusses Mathematica's numerics.

This review may be of interest to readers of The Mathematica Journal.
Perhaps a short discussion of this topic should appear in TMJ?

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)
AUSTRALIA                               http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul