Re: true limit of mathematica ? Help me !!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60244] Re: true limit of mathematica ? Help me !!!
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 04:53:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 9/7/05 at 4:04 AM, lumisrob_NOGOOD_ at yahoo.com (LumisROB) wrote:

>During this calculation:

>m= Table[(i-j)+3.*j^-4 +50*I,{I,1,10000},{j,1,10000}]; Det[m]

>the kernel has jammed and the following message has been visualized
>No more memory available. Mathematica kernel has shut down.

>Is it possible to overcome this obstacle?

I suspect there is a typo in your code defining m. You have a lower case i in the expression but are using an upper case I as an iterator. Is this really what you meant?

With this code, you've asked Mathematica to compute a symbolic answer as the determinate of a very large matrix. Consequently, it should not be all that surprising when your system runs out of memory. It is hard to understand why you would want a symbolic answer that will have several thousand terms.