Re: Precedence

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60281] Re: Precedence
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 06:46:33 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

not in a portable way because the precedence is
hard coded in
$TopDirectory/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/TextResources/UnicodeCharacters.tr
you will find there lines like
0x00B7  \[CenterDot]  ($.$   $&CenterDot;$
$\cdot$   $\centerdot$)  Infix  530  None  3  3
and the number after "Infix" gives you precedence.

Regards
  Jens

"Xerxes" <Xerxes314 at gmail.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:dfrgpu$fr6$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Hi all,
|
| I've been writing a package using Mathematica to
do lattice
| perturbation theory. As a part of my package,
I'd like to
| define my own matrix multiplication, which I
call dotm. Since
| CenterDot looks pretty and has no previous
assignment, I've
| used it as both the input and output format of
dotm. However,
| I run into problems when I try to type things
like

| Y[x].g A[x].Y[x+a]
|
| where the . should be imagined to be CenterDot.
Because the
| precedence of the . is higher than the
precedence of the
| multiplication, this gives (Y.g)(A.Y) instead of
Y.(gA).Y.

| I know I can attach a TagBox to the CenterDot to
force it to
| have lower precedence, but that ruins the
convenience of typing
| esc-.-esc to get the dot. Is there some other
way to teach