Mathematica can't solve simple system of equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60395] Mathematica can't solve simple system of equations
  • From: "Mukhtar Bekkali" <mbekkali at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 05:16:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Assume I have two equations a[i]^x(a[i]^x+a[j]^x)^(1/x)-p[i], where
i=1,2, i!=j (not equal), and all variables, {a,x,p} are strictly
positive. Mathematica cannot  give me the answer that I can work out by
hand in less than a minute. I used both Solve and Reduce to solve for
a[i], i=1,2. Please advise. Mukhtar Bekkali