Re: Proposal to get Stephen to Improve the lot ofSpace Shuttle Programmers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60454] Re: Proposal to get Stephen to Improve the lot ofSpace Shuttle Programmers
  • From: beliavsky at aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:51:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bill Rowe wrote:
> On 9/14/05 at 3:27 AM, davidannetts at aapt.net.au (David Annetts)
> wrote:
>
> >>Can I get a conversation started about this topic? Will a tool to
> >>convert FORTRAN to mathematica code be useful?
>
> >I'd suggest that a tool going the other way (ie Mathematica to F95,
> >F2K or some variety of c++) would be far more useful than a tool to
> >convert Fortran code to Mathematica.

MathCode F90 http://www.wolfram.com/products/applications/mathcodef90/
converts Mathematica to Fortran 90 .

<snip>

> There is an obvious use for such a tool. There exists quite a bit of useful FORTRAN code in various texts and other places. And I for one, do not have ready access to a FORTRAN compiler.

There exist several free Fortran compilers for Fortran 77 on Windows,
Linux, and other platforms, and two Fortran 95 compilers, g95 and
gfortran. A Fortran 95 compiler can compile most old Fortran code
written in Fortran 77 or Fortra IV. See
http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Fortran/Compilers/
for links to compilers.