Re: probability with simulation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60515] Re: [mg60496] probability with simulation
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 04:45:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here is an example of a simulation to get you started

nbrDice=5;
nbrOnes=2;
nbrFaces=6;

Enumeration:

Count[Count[#,1]&/@
        Flatten[
          Outer[List, Sequence@@Table[Range[nbrFaces], {nbrDice}]],
          nbrDice-1],
      nbrOnes]/(nbrFaces^nbrDice)//N

0.160751

Combinatoric:

(1/nbrFaces)^nbrOnes*(1-1/nbrFaces)^(nbrDice-nbrOnes)*
    Binomial[nbrDice, nbrOnes]//N

0.160751

%==%%

True

Estimate using simulation:

Module[{nbrTrials=1000,n=0},
  Do[If[
      Count[
          Table[Random[Integer,{1,nbrFaces}],{nbrDice}],
          1]==nbrOnes,
      n+=1],
    {nbrTrials}];
  N[n/nbrTrials]]