Re: Re: another Bug in Reduce ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60566] Re: [mg60533] Re: another Bug in Reduce ?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 05:19:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 20 Sep 2005, at 06:35, Adam Strzebonski wrote:

>> As for the rest of the problems they seem to me very difficult to
>> deal with. Essentially the algorithms used by Reduce,
>> CylindricalAlgebraicDecomposition and Quantifier ELimination are
>> purely algebraic; they work for polynomial expressions. It seems
>> to  me that all other types of expressions have to be deal with
>> by  heuristic methods and probably can never be made fully
>> reliable  (which is not to say they can't be made better).
>>

> Cylindrical algebraic decomposition can handle real algebraic
> functions
> (Root objects and radical expressions) in full generality. It should
> always give the correct answer (provided there are no bugs...).
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Adam Strzebonski
> Wolfram Research

By the "rest of the problems" I meant the problems with Reduce
discussed in Maxim's post. They involve things like Im[Sqrt[x]],
Infinities etc, so they do not use CAD, and it seems to me that some
sort of "heuristics" (by whch I mean "special case" based techniques
rather than general algorithms like CAD)  have to be used in these
situations.

Andrzej Kozlowski