Re: Simplify and Noncommutativity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60589] Re: Simplify and Noncommutativity
  • From: "Carl K. Woll" <carl at woll2woll.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:20:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Nilton wrote:
> Carl,
>
> I also would like a simple way to use Factor and Simplify with
> Noncommutative multiplication, but this seems not to work. Considers
> this case:
>
> In[1]:=  Factor[p0**p1**p0+p1**p1**p1]
>
> Out[1]=  p1 (p0 p0+p1 p1)
>
> The middle p1 should not "go out" of the product. Any workaround?
>
> Thanks,
> -- Nilton

I did consider this problem when I came up with my proposal. One thought was
to write my own factor function. This factor function would use Factor, and
then expand out any terms that contained out of order terms. In your
example, the full form of

p0 p0 + p1 p1

would be

ov[1,p0]ov[3,p0]+ov[1,p1]ov[3,p1]

and so this term would need to be expanded. For example:

factor[a_]:=Module[{},
  tmp=Factor[a];
  tmp //. t1 t2_Plus /; outoforderQ[t2] :> ((t1 # &) /@ t2
]

A suitable outoforderQ function would need to be written.

I didn't pursue this idea any further because I wasn't sure it was needed.
Other than appearance, what harm is there in having the out of order p1
term? The real problem is if applying Factor changed the expression so that
applying Expand to it yields something unequal to the original. I wouldn't
be surprised if there was an expression where Expand[Factor[expr]]!=expr but
I didn't think of one.

To summarize, if an out of order term bothers you, simply create your own
factor or simplify function as above. On the other hand, if there is a
situation where an out of order term causes other errors my whole approach
to this problem will need to be reworked or discarded.

Carl Woll
Wolfram Research