Re: Mathematica 5.0 and Excel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60625] Re: Mathematica 5.0 and Excel
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:08:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 9/21/05 at 3:20 AM, steevebrechmann at yahoo.ca (Steeve Brechmann
(schumi)) wrote:

>I need to import some matrix in excel to mathematica. I have try to
>save my excel files in CSV but the result, when i import this file
>to mathematica isn't what i want.

>How can i import some data from Excel to Mathematica ?

What are you doing when you say you don't get what you want when you import the CSV files? What do you get? What are you expecting?

You should be able to import CSV files created by Excel using

Import[filename,"CSV"]

Alternatively, with the current version of Mathematica you could import the Excel file directly by doing

Import[filename, "XLS"]

Finally, if there is only numeric data in the file, saving the file from Excel as a tab delimited file rather than comma delimited would allow usage of

ReadList[filename, Number, RecordLists->True]

Which will be faster than usage of Import.