Beginner: Importing files, maintaining file format.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60627] Beginner: Importing files, maintaining file format.
  • From: smotz555 <greenli7 at msu.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:08:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I know there must be a simple solution to this...

I have an array.dat file, that has an array in it that is already formatted and ready to plot. I'm going to be using the ListPlotVectorField, so array.dat is in the format {{point,vector},...}. I didn't see anything that let me take in 4 data points into that format, so I made the array.dat fit the ListPlotVectorField format within the program it is generated.
Basically I want to get from that .dat file to being able to plot.

I've tried using import, but the line and table format there won't hold the format of the file.
So I tried Import["array.dat, "Text"], which would be optimal but resulted in the output being considered as text, being put in "s, and wouldn't plot until the " were removed. I don't really want to remove those by hand...

Then I tried using !!array.dat, but I can't seem to label that output as anything.  I tried !!array.dat followed by varray = %, but when I plotted it said varray was null. I also tried a few other things similar to that.

Any suggestions or a better method?
Maybe there is another specification I can put in the Import function?

Thanks,
Lisa