Re: Mathemaica 5.2 are the 64 Bit an illusion !!!....?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60709] Re: Mathemaica 5.2 are the 64 Bit an illusion !!!....?
  • From: LumisROB <lumisrob_NOGOOD_ at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 02:36:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:03:32 +0000 (UTC), Dave Seaman
<dseaman at no.such.host> wrote:

>As I have already explained, I used "0.", not "0".  The difference is
>that 0. takes the same amount of space as a Random[] value, while 0 takes
>only half as much.

no  problem, agrees with you
 however not being a developer of Mathematica I cannot exclude that
code is created for optimizing so simple situations (matrix of all 0.
). To intend you see  what able is to make the command sharememory.

>Since my previous posting I have upgraded to Mathematica 5.2 on several
>64-bit systems (AIX, SunOS, and Linux).  I couldn't get the computation
>to finish on any of those.  The IBM SP version at least ran quite a bit
>longer than Mathematica 5.1 did on the same platform, but so far only the
>Mac OS X version has performed the test successfully.

I have been stricken from the limitations of these programs that are
defined to 64bit and that instead   have some limitations typical of
the 32 bit. Also I had problems but after the Wolfram has responded me
I have thought about not entrusting me as than the system
administrator and you know what I have discovered? what a the
limitation of my test (if we maintain there within the 2^31 and we
always transform the integers with N []] it is not responsibility of
Mathematica but of the operating system and conflicts  of various
kind. I have personally tried Mathematica 5.2 +Linux (64) on a home
system from me prepared carefully (512 KB RAM + AMD64) and I have
succeeded in completing the calculation.
Then the guilt is not of Mathematica 5.2
Attention that for instance, on some operational systems I went to
check the file of paging, this was settato to ex to 10 GBs but
Mathematica didn't entirely see it
Then at the end of the discourse a... Great MATHEMATICA 5.2!!!!!!! ...
with the hope that the 2^31 e N[integers] further limitation is
removed also
I wanted to excuse me with various people among which Paul Abbot,
Richard j.Faterma and to also thank particularly way Schoeller and
Daniel of the Wolfram
Thanks also to you
ROB