Multicore Calculations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60769] Multicore Calculations
  • From: Manuel Schmidt <Manuel.Schmidt at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 01:41:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,

i'm wondering, how one can convince the MathKernel to do a numerical
linear algebra calculation on two processors at the same time in 5.2.

Am I right, that this should be computed on two processors (if
available):

vec1 = Table[Random[], {i, 5000000}];
vec2 = Table[Random[], {i, 5000000}];

While[True,Dot[vec1, vec2]]

or a big matrix and a vector

matrix.vector;

Anyways, I see in top only one kernel running. There is only one thread.
Are there different binaries for the multicore and the singlecore
version?

Thanks,

Manuel