Re: what is wrong with this plot?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60861] Re: what is wrong with this plot?
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 06:37:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

have you try to print the plot ? and does the PostScript
output the same problem ?
This comes usual from the font metrics, that may be a bit
different for the Windows fonts (Times New Roman instead of Times, ..)
and this small differences cause that Mathematica "think"
the character is 9 pixel wide while the character in the Windows font
is only 8.8 pixel wide.

If I remember right, there is some where  a performance switch for
Windows to use antialiasing for the true type fonts, and this should
reduce the effect.

Regards
  Jens

"Chris Chiasson" <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:dhir7a$lne$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| To MathGroup Responders (thanks, btw):
|
| My response is late because I reinstalled
everything on my computer
| since my last post... Nobody seems to have
experienced the same
| problem I had. I reproduced it again after the
reinstall, though it
| isn't as bad as it was before. The problem is
that the fraction line
| is broken. To prove to you that I am not (too)
crazy, I put
| screenshots on my website. The first one was
taken before I changed
| Windows' graphics settings around to see if that
made a difference

http://chrischiasson.com/files/MMAGraphTextError1.png

http://chrischiasson.com/files/MMAGraphTextError2.png

| What would cause this?
|
| I have also seen it in some exported PDFs
before...

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
[mailto:chris.chiasson at gmail.com]

Plot[x^2,{x,0,10},Epilog->{Text[DisplayForm@ToBoxes[Sqrt[23]/4],{5,50}]}]
| > How can I achieve the desired effect of the
square root with the

http://chrischiasson.com/contact/chris_chiasson