SpeakTextPacket in 5.2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65450] SpeakTextPacket in 5.2
  • From: "Dana DeLouis" <ddelouis at bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 05:00:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello.  I use to have this function in my startup file.  It would speak the
text, and I remember that it worked well.

say[s_String]:= FrontEndExecute[SpeakTextPacket[s]]

However, I have not gotten this to work in awhile.
Has anyone gotten this to work with version 5.2?

The Mathematica Journal (9-3, pg. 300) recommends the following line
first...

FrontEndExecute[SetSpeechParametersPacket[1]]

Then...

FrontEndExecute[SpeakTextPacket["Hello there."]]

However, the above no longer works.

Speech works well on my computer using Microsoft Office 2003.

I know this is an "undocumented feature," so I cannot complain.  :>0

Just wondering.  Maybe it is a version 5 thing.

Thanks.
dana.del at gmail.com