Re: Sphere

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65548] Re: Sphere
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 06:14:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Matija,

If you are happy with longitude and lattitude, we may simply map the

rectangular parameter space: phi=0..2Pi and theta=-P/2...Pi/2 onto the

sphere. Here is an example.

Define some curve, here a loxodrome:

phi[x_]:=6 x;

theta[x_]:= Mod[x,Pi]-Pi/2;

here is the map:

mymap[phi_,theta_]:={Cos[theta] Cos[phi],Cos[theta] Sin[phi], Sin[theta]}

here is the drawing:

<< Graphics`Shapes`

Show[Graphics3D[{

       Sphere[1, 20, 20],

       Thickness[0.01],

       Line[

         Table[mymap[phi[x], theta[x]], {x, 0, 2Pi, 0.01}]

         ]

       }], AmbientLight -> GrayLevel[0.9], LightSources -> {}]

here is the same curve in parameterspace (phi axes extended):

ParametricPlot[{phi[x], theta[x]}, {x, 0, Pi}]

Daniel