Re: Joint Entropy

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65587] Re: Joint Entropy
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 02:31:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Sensei wrote:
> Hi! I'm writing some functions to analyze the informative content of
> sequences, and I've stopped trying to produce the joint entropy.
>
> These are my auxiliary functions:
>
> (* Generates a sequence of random numbers *)
> In[2]:=
> RandomSequence[nsamples_,min_,max_]:=Table[
>      Random[Integer,{min,max}], {nsamples}
>      ]
>
> (* Alphabet of a sequence *)
> In[3]:=
> SignalAlphabet[signal_]:=Union[signal]
>
> (* Gives the probability of a symbol *)
> In[13]:=
> SymbolProbability[symbol_,signal_]:=Count[signal,symbol]/Length[signal]
>
> (* Gives the list of all symbols and their probabilities *)
> In[20]:=
> SignalProbabilityList[signal_]:=Map[
>      {#,SymbolProbability[#,signal]}&,
>      SignalAlphabet[signal]]
>
> (* Calculates the entropy *)
> In[24]:=
> SignalEntropy[signal_]:=-1*Fold[Plus, 0,
>        Map[Log[2,Last[#]]&,SignalProbability[signal]]]
>

> Now, my question is, how to produce the joint probability of two
> sequences ``mathematica style''? So, given X and Y, I can produce the
> alphabet of XY, that is the cartesian product of the two alphabets
> (using CartesianProduct), but... well, I don't know how to make a
> good code! As I said previously, I'm new to mathematica... How should
> I proceed?

Hi Sensei,

Could anything like the following may be of any help (the  Cartesian
product is implemented with the *Outer* built-in function)?

In[1]:=
X = {a, b, c, d};
Y = {d, e, f};
Outer[List, X, Y]

Out[3]=
{{{a, d}, {a, e}, {a, f}}, {{b, d}, {b, e}, {b, f}},
   {{c, d}, {c, e}, {c, f}}, {{d, d}, {d, e}, {d, f}}}

In[4]:=
Flatten[%]

Out[4]=
{a, d, a, e, a, f, b, d, b, e, b, f, c, d, c, e, c,
   f, d, d, d, e, d, f}

In[5]:=
Union[%]

Out[5]=