Re: Re: Sorting Rows of a Matrix

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65723] Re: [mg65122] Re: [mg65089] Sorting Rows of a Matrix
  • From: János <janos.lobb at yale.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 03:48:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

[This post has been delayed due to email problems - moderator]

Same thing.

In[2]:=
m = Table[{Random[Real,
      {-1., 1.}],
     {"January", "February",
       "March", "April",
       "May", "June", "July",
       "August", "September",
       "October", "November",
       "December"}[[Random[
       Integer, {1, 12}]]]},
    {i, 12}]
Out[2]=
{{0.8701862662632052,
    "December"},
   {-0.5521628730863237,
    "February"},
   {0.8807487623337678,
    "April"},
   {-0.5277191409968145,
    "March"},
   {-0.7681118969431135,
    "September"},
   {-0.8802613574843271,
    "December"},
   {-0.41108085598242217,
    "July"},
   {0.6057163989012162,
    "September"},
   {0.04548184603751504,
    "September"},
   {0.537936460785527,
    "September"},
   {0.7041469273942609,
    "October"},
   {0.9587663059986569,
    "September"}}

In[6]:=
m[[Ordering[m[[All,{2, 1}]]]]]
Out[6]=
{{0.8807487623337678,
    "April"},
   {-0.8802613574843271,
    "December"},
   {0.8701862662632052,
    "December"},
   {-0.5521628730863237,
    "February"},
   {-0.41108085598242217,
    "July"},
   {-0.5277191409968145,
    "March"},
   {0.7041469273942609,
    "October"},
   {-0.7681118969431135,
    "September"},
   {0.04548184603751504,
    "September"},
   {0.537936460785527,
    "September"},
   {0.6057163989012162,
    "September"},
   {0.9587663059986569,
    "September"}}

In[7]:=
MatrixForm[%]
Out[7]//MatrixForm=
MatrixForm[
   {{0.8807487623337678,
     "April"},
    {-0.8802613574843271,
     "December"},
    {0.8701862662632052,
     "December"},
    {-0.5521628730863237,
     "February"},
    {-0.41108085598242217,
     "July"},
    {-0.5277191409968145,
     "March"},
    {0.7041469273942609,
     "October"},
    {-0.7681118969431135,
     "September"},
    {0.04548184603751504,
     "September"},
    {0.537936460785527,
     "September"},
    {0.6057163989012162,
     "September"},
    {0.9587663059986569,
     "September"}}]

János

P.S.  If you want to show the resemblance of the ordering of the
calendar months, then you can use "aJanuary", "bFebruary",
"cMarch",.... for the name of the months.

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>>> Subject: [mg65723] [mg65122] [mg65089] Sorting Rows of a Matrix
>>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> How can I sort the rows of a matrix by using one or more of the
>>> columns as sort keys just like in a spreadsheet?  For example, if
>>> matrix M is 12 x 2 with numbers in the first column and unordered
>>> month numbers in the second, how would I order the rows by month?
>>>
>>> 	Regards,
>>>
>>> 		Greg

Trying to argue with a politician is like lifting up the head of a
corpse.
(S. Lem: His Master Voice)