Re: Mathematica and Education

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65722] Re: [mg65102] Mathematica and Education
  • From: "fizzy" <fizzycist at knology.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 03:48:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

[This post has been delayed due to email problems - moderator]

Hello....

I'm that "student" by the way.....and actually I'm 61 years old.....I
decided to go back to school and take a course in Electromagnetics
especially now that I had a tool like Mathematica to work with.......I write
this reponse because I wonder why you wrote  "proudly
proclaimed"...?......as if I should be criticized for what I had done.....as
if the enjoyment that I get from using Mathematica, in whatever way I can to
help me improve my work and , actually, to enjoy it all the more, deserves
some kind of criticism, especially this  idea of the glory of 'pencil and
paper'....in fact, now I have this 'beautiful' Notebook with all my
calculations, clear as a bell.....which I can use over and over again
whenever I need ....which I can re-read easily.....and soon I will take the
second sequence in the course........I've worked with a theorist at
work...and I've watched him write pages and pages of 'pencil and
paper'....and often to find a mistake on the first page....and then have to
re-do all the other pages...it took me years of coaxing and convincing to
get him to use Mathematica.....and that's because , like you, he believed in
this assinine idea of "a fool with a tool is a fool"....he just didnt get
it.....now he finally uses Mathematica ....and has learned that when he
makes a mistake on the first page, he only has to correct that, re-run his
program and then get 'correct' results....took me 5 years of continual
persuasion to get him to use Mathematica......."No, a fool who wants to be a
fool  , remains a fool....a fool who finds a tool and works hard at it  and
learns how to use it and learns from a group like Mathgroup how to use it
correctly is no longer a fool or, at least, he's much less of a
fool"....and, as far as Mathematica goes, I find myself a very happy
scientific fool....

I think you really misunderstand the nature of the average scientist and
engineer....he wants to improve his technical skill at all
costs.....Mathematica and Mathgroup have helped me enormously to improve my
technical skills.....and by the way, I always use a calculator to add
numbers and fractions....always....because I hate that idiotic and tedious
procedure....and when I do it by hand, I invariably come up with the wrong
result.....much better to be a fool and use a calculator and get the right
result...

Let me ask this....if using Mathematica is so easy, so straight forward, and
so on, then why is there Mathgroup at all??...

And the answer is really very simple.....it's not....and knowing the math
and how to use it is not straight forward....and the number of interesting
and enlightening comments by the people in Mathgroup who are very  astute at
mathematics  and who explain the math behind the commands is very
enlightening......

I have learned that those people who know only the Mathematica Command
structure will not really get very far with Mathematica.....and that only
those people with 'in depth' comprehension will ever get the full benefits
of Mathematica....I am not mathematically astute....so I have to have
Mathematica help me....but I always try to learn from it....in any way that
I can....it and Mathgroup have helped me in countless ways to understand
mathematics better.....and since I'm a physicist this learning has been
invaluable to help me understand physics much better...hence, the final
result, that is, much more enjoyment in the work that I do....which is
really the bottom line, for me anyway.....

Jerry Blimbaum