Re: Re: Problem with limiits

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65858] Re: [mg65845] Re: Problem with limiits
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 04:54:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have to add one more thing. In my original reply I mentioned
complete metric spaces and Cauchy sequences but all of that is quite
unnecessary. In fact it is obvious form the definition of convergence
that a subsequence of a convergent sequence converges to the same
limit as the original sequence. The prof is trivial but if anyone
still doubts it then can consult the well known textbook of Rudin,
"Principles of Mathematical Analyis", page 51. The author states this
fact but considers it too trivial to bother with a proof so he leaves
the details to the reader.

(I don't know why I thought of the argument using Cauchy sequences -
true but completely unnecessary - I guess I must have been thinking
of some other related, less trivial result).

That

Table[(1 + 1/Prime[n])^Prime[n], {n, 1, Inifinity}]

is a subsequence of

Table[(1 + 1/m)^m, {m, 1, Infinity}]

is, if anything, even more trivial.

Andrzej Kozlowski