Re: solving a set of inequalities

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65953] Re: [mg65910] solving a set of inequalities
  • From: gardyloo <gardyloo at mail.wsu.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:02:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, Reiro,

  I'm not quite sure of the connection between x, y, and z, and a, b, c.
If these are indeed separate, then the last equation has no influence on
the solution of the first two equations. In that case, you may do

Needs["Algebra`InequalitySolve`"]

InequalitySolve[(3a+5b+9c > 6a+6b+8c) && (3a+5b+9c > a+5b+12c), {a,b,c}]

which yields your answer.

If, instead, the set {x,y,z} is the SAME as {a,b,c}, then put your last
equality in in the same way, and you'll get a more restrictive set of
solutions.

     Hope that helps!

             Curtis O.

reiro wrote:
> I'll be grateful if you tell me how to solve this set of inequalities in
> mathematica. I've been looking in the help file but it returns an error
> and I don't know how to sort it oout.
>
> I need to solve this set:
>
> 3*a + 5*b + 9*c > 6*a + 6*b + 8*c
> 3*a + 5*b + 9*c > a + 5*b + 12*c