Re: Re: "No more memory available" -- a recurring problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68423] Re: [mg68388] Re: [mg68356] "No more memory available" -- a recurring problem
  • From: "Charlie Brummitt" <cbrummitt at wisc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 03:59:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I took my MacBook Pro into the university computer support & repair
office, and they concluded that the RAM is fine and that it probably
is not a hardware problem. I ran memtest (www.memtestosx.org/) on the
new memory stick alone (it's from OMNI Technology) and found no
errors.

That leaves me with three possibilities:
1) my code can simply be too difficult for a personal computer and
some sort of grid or supercomputer is required
2) there is a bug in Mathematica, in the act of porting Mathematica to
Intel (i.e. to being universal), or in OSX which causes memory
failures even when there is plenty of memory and virtual memory
available
3) my code is poorly written and needs radical change. To answer Bill
Rowe's question, I would consider myself an intermediate Mathematica
user, and I think I'm fairly well-versed in the area of Mathematica in
which I'm working (namely, solving and analyzing differential
equations).

Basically, my calculation consists of using NDSolve thousands of times
to solve and evaluate PDE's in order to find ones that are chaotic.

I'm not sure what else to do. Contact Wolfram maybe?

I guess this ends my research project.

Thanks to János and Bill for their helpful comments.

Charlie