RE: need mathematica's help for exploring a certain type of mapping

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68628] RE: [mg68559] need mathematica's help for exploring a certain type of mapping
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 05:52:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Nabeel,

I know how to easily make a counter-example going from 1D to 2D.

We need a statement that any such function must be periodic and isotropic,
with period 1, about all points in the 2D plane. And then a theorem that
says there are no such functions.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Nabeel Butt [mailto:nabeel.butt at gmail.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

David,
        Thanks for the reply.You seem to have very good ideas.
      The mapping does not neccessarily map xy-plane to  a 3D-surface in
R^3.It is also not neccessarily continous.ALL what is specified of it is
that given two points which are at a unit distance in R^2 they are mapped on
to points in R^3 that are also at a unit distance.What we need to show is
that given there is a mapping that preserves unit distance does it preserve
all distances?.If we are able to demonstrate a map that preserves unit
distances but not all distances we have actually disproven a very important
hypothesis in mathematics.And your ability to create graphics will be
useful.
   Also there may be many possible unit distance preserving maps.
     Look forward for your views.
        regards,
       Nabeel