Re: Hyperlink to *.pdf File

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68642] Re: [mg68632] Hyperlink to *.pdf File
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 06:44:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Easy:

1. Type the text that you want to be the source of the hyperlink.

2. Select that text and use menu item Input > Create Hyperlink... (or
select the text, use right-click if on Windows, and select Create
Hyperlink... from the context menu.

3. In the pop-up Create Hyperlink dialog, click radio button "Other
notebook or URL".

4. Type a proper URL for the file in the input field next to that radio
button.  Such a URL will have, for a file on your own system, the form:

   file:///d:/topdir/subdir/.../filename.ext

Note the THREE slashes after "file:".  Click OK.

OR, use the browse button to locate the file, select it, click the OK
button to get back to the Create Hyperlink dialog; click OK there.

The key to all this is knowing the URL format for a file, and that your
system knows how to open a file of the given kind.  On my system, when I
click such a hyperlink to a pdf file in the notebook, it opens the file
in an Acrobat Reader window.  Depending on your configuration, it might
open it in the Acrobat plug-in for your browser.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305