NonlinearFit + Sums

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68760] NonlinearFit + Sums
  • From: Lyta <lyta at mailinator.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 03:12:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I want to do a mulitdimensional nonlinear fitting and I'm not sure how to define the mathematica statement for that.

I have a matrix "data" of dimensions 140x37 that contains 36 samples of 140 functions. The 37th column contains the resulting value of a mapping of the type R36->R1. I want to calculate the parameter mu of a function that integrates over the samples - i posted a simplified version of the function below. My problem is, that I don't know what to write instead of x_i. For the second x_ it should be something like {x1, x2, x3, x4, ..., x36}. But the first x_i should be something like x[[i]] (this doesn't work ofc). How do i assign the data to the sum?

NonlinearFit[data, Sum[E^(mu)*x_i, {i, 1, 36}], x_i, {mu}]

I hope you can help :-)