Re: FileNames subdirectory count discrepancy

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68796] Re: FileNames subdirectory count discrepancy
  • From: Peter Pein <petsie at dordos.net>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 03:12:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bill Rowe schrieb:
> On 8/16/06 at 3:36 AM, chris at chiasson.name (Chris Chiasson) wrote:
>
>>from the help: FileNames[forms, dirs, n] includes files that are in
>> subdirectories up to n levels down.
>
>> why does a file that is only one level down require n=2?
>
> <example snipped>
>
> I assume n = 1 would refer to the current level. And the choosing n = 1 to be the current level seems consistent with Mathematica's indexing of arrays that use 1 as a base rather than 0.
> --
> To reply via email subtract one hundred and four

The device C:\\ may be interpreted as file (as in Unix and cousins). The
file (folder in Windows speech) WINDOWS is 1 level down and system ini
is 2 levels under C:\\.

  I know, this is the same as Jens-Peer Kuska wrote, but I wanted to
explain the interpretation of file/device/folder, which is (mostly)
irrelevant in OSs ending with a 'X' (except Windox ;-) ).

Peter