Re: word problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68779] Re: [mg68709] word problem
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 03:12:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I strongly suspect the problem that you're seeing is that the metafiles
copied into Word are using the Mathematica fonts.  If so, then it's not an
issue of having all of Mathematica present, but only of the fonts...or of
removing the dependence upon those fonts.  Here are some possibilities...

* Copy as bitmap and paste (using the Copy As submenu).  Because this uses
bitmaps, there will be no references to the fonts.  On the downside, the
bitmap will look great on screen, but really crummy when you print the Word
file.

* Don't use the Mathematica fonts.  If you have typeset equations in the
graphic, this may be hard to avoid.  But if the only things that are messed
up are regular characters like parentheses, braces, or brackets, then you
can work around the problem by evaluating the following...

SetOptions[$FrontEnd, PrivateFontOptions->{"OperatorSubstitution"->False}]

Then re-evaluate the affected graphics.  To restore the old behavior, do...

SetOptions[$FrontEnd,
PrivateFontOptions->{"OperatorSubstitution"->Inherited]

This can be done through the Option Inspector, as well...just search for
OperatorSubstitution.

* Install the Mathematica fonts on the system where the Word file is being
viewed.  See this web page for a convenient way to download fonts...

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/windows/general/latestfonts.
html

and just drag the resulting .ttf files to the Fonts control panel.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group