AuthorTools "Make Contents" no makes contents?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68855] AuthorTools "Make Contents" no makes contents?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 03:28:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The AuthorTools "Make Contents" palette in Mathematica 5.1 just doesn't
seem to want to create or save a notebook TOC on a single-user Mac iBook
G4 running OS 10.3.9.

I have a working (and correctly evaluating) notebook with
Section/Subsection/Subsubsection headings in it.

With this notebook open, the AuthorTools palette opens fine from the
File >> Palettes >> OpenAuthorsTools menu, and the MakeContents and
other sub-palettes open fine from it . . . but MakeContents doesn't.

Any time I click on the Make Simple Contents button after doing some
editing in the notebook involved, I get the dialog box saying the
notebook must be saved to use Make Contents.   So, I do a Save and try
the Make Simple Contents button again . . . but nothing visible happens,
and no TOC (that I can find, anyway) seems to get created, or at least
to appear in the Finder.

If I click inside any one cell, then click the Make Simple Contents
button, the title bar of the active notebook flashes to "Running . . "
for just a second (this doesn't happen above).  If I select one or
multiple or all cells and click, this flash doesn't happen.

I can change various MakeContents options using the SelectedCellStyles
or ContentsFileName buttons, and these changes stick.

If I open the NotebookDifferences subpalette and click the Notebooks...
button, the dialog box that opens shows the notebook I'm working on as
the first notebook.

But no TOC (that I can find, anyway) ever seems to get created, or at
least appear in the Finder.

I've restarted the Mac, and also reinstalled Mathematica 5.1 from the
original CD; no change.