Re: "Freezing" evaluation Output?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68891] Re: "Freezing" evaluation Output?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 05:20:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <ecc2lu$ahu$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com> wrote:

> > But is there an execution (or output) option for Input cells (or for
> > individual commands) that says, "Don't replace previous output, even if
> > it's still there"?

> CellAutoOverwrite set to False is the option you need:
>
> "CellAutoOverwrite is an option for Cell which specifies whether new
> output obtained by evaluating this cell should overwrite old output. [1]"
>
> HTH,
> Jean-Marc
>
> [1] http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/functions/CellAutoOverwrite

Thank you for this reply -- just what's needed.

But might note: As I read the relevant documentation more carefully, it
really does NOT say precisely, or explicitly, whether the False option
means that the evaluation avoids overwriting old output by writing new
output separately from (presumably above) existing output -- or by just
not writing new output at all.

And what of the quote from the more detailed documentation: "The option
CellAutoOverwrite is typically set to True for styles that represent
Mathematica output."?  Does this mean that one should put this option
not in the Input cell that does the evaluation, but in the Output cell
that was previously produced (to protect it)?  Or, should "represent
Mathematica output" be "generate Mathematica output"?