Re: Help !! problems with symbolize

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68928] Re: [mg68880] Help !! problems with symbolize
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 07:16:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

mintoo,

It is likely you cut and pasted your input to the symbolize command to
the left hand side of your assignment. Go over to the "gamma_ion=2"
cell and hit ctrl+shift+e. If you see something like
TagBox[stuff,NotationBoxTag], then that is likely to be the problem.
In Mathematica, the TagBox applies its second argument to the first
argument (even though you can't see the second argument). In this
case, you probably ended up with NotationBoxTag[gamma_ion]=2. This
assignment will fail with an error because NotationBoxTag has the
Attribute Protected. In order to have the gamma_ion be interpreted as
a symbol, you will need to type it out one more time or be clever with
your manipulation of the *Box structures.

Regards,

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/