Re: How to handle Arrays that has functional parameters:

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68937] Re: How to handle Arrays that has functional parameters:
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 05:34:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

ff[i_, j_][s_, t_] := ff[i, j] = s^i*t^j

or

ffd[i_, j_][u_:s, v_:t] := ffd[i, j] = s^i*t^j

??

Regards

  Jens

"Gopinath Venkatesan" <gopinathv at ou.edu> schrieb
im Newsbeitrag news:echej1$oqk$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Dear Friends
|
| If we have to define an array but also work as a
function, how do we define them?

| For example, consider the following:
|
| \!\(\(func1 = Table[a[i, j], {i, 3}, {j,
3}];\)\[IndentingNewLine]
|  \(func2[s_, t_, i_, j_] := \(s\^i\)
t\^j;\)\[IndentingNewLine]
|  \(Do[func1[\([i, j]\)] = func2[s, t,
|         i, j], {i, 3}, {j,
3}];\)\[IndentingNewLine]
|  func1 // MatrixForm\)
|
| Where I defined func1 to be an array, and func2
to be a function, and then assigned the func1
elements using func2 relation.

| I wanted to know if we can build this relation
directly into the array definition?

| Like say, func1[[i,j]][s_,t_]:=s^i t^j, inside
the Do loop, or other alternatives.

| The reason is I have some functions of a
variable, which I dont want to evaluate until the
last step of the solution - i.e., I dont want to
evaluate them during the do loop operations, and
keep it safe and then evaluate in another do loop
operation where only the variables will change to
evaluate the lagrangian and hence the individual
solution for the variable value. I can use the
following method, it takes some time to fix it,
but would like to know if we can do it some other
way.