Re: if I open multiple files in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64155] Re: [mg64124] if I open multiple files in Mathematica
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 19:09:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

As you have discovered, definitions (rules) are associated with a
Mathematica session and NOT with a Mathematica notebook.

One work-around is to have use a different Mathematica Context for each
notebook.  A context is essentially a "namespace".  See the Mathematica
Book's materials for details.

Here's a simple example.  You have two notebooks.  In one you evaluate
the following input cells:

Begin["This`"]
x=100;
End[]

If you evaluate any cells in that notebook after evaluating the Begin
cell and the x = 100 cell, but before evaluating the End[] cell, x will
take the vaule 100 there.

In the other notebook you evaluate input cells:

Begin["Other`"]
x = "hello";
End[]

If you evaluate any cells in that notebook after evaluating the Begin
cell and the x = "hello" cell, but before evaluating the End[] cell, x
will take the vaule "hello" there.

But:  After you have evaluated both End[] cells, now no matter in what
notebook you do further evaluations, if you refer to x you will just get
the symbol x and neither of those two values.  But if you want to use
one of the values from within those context, you qualify x with the
context name:

   This`x
100
   This`x + 23