Exporting Density Plots -- one pixel per point?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64344] Exporting Density Plots -- one pixel per point?
  • From: "quintessentialk" <quintessentialk at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 03:15:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I wish to generate large bitmaps (tiffs, say) where each the greyscale
color value of each pixel is determined by a given function of x and y.
By large, I mean more than 9E6 pixels.

I've tried using a density plot for this, and then a rasterized table,
but I run into a couple of difficulties. First, if I use pixel counts
which approach this order of magnitude, I get memory errors -- on a
win32 machine with 2GB installed. Second, if I make do with a smaller
pixel count, I have trouble exporting the plot in a truly
one-pixel-per-data-point fashion. (The process is time consuming, and
results are unconvincing).

I think the problem is the way Mathematica internally tries do
everything in a resolution independent way, which I don't want here.

Ideas?
Questions?

(The specific application is to generate high resolution print-outs of
holographic patterns which can later be imaged to photographic film.
After appropriate development and bleaching, the exposed film can be
used as a transmission hologram to couple gaussian laser beams into
other interesting modes.)

Thank you.