Re: Using a text editor like interface for Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64386] Re: Using a text editor like interface for Mathematica?
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 03:31:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

write you *.m files in TextPad (I use it too) and
in your FrontEnd say

<<MathematicaPackageImEditingNow`

and only do teh testing in the FrontEnd ...

Regards
  Jens

<grub_snuffler at yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:dsru9v$5ee$1 at smc.vnet.net...
|I very much dislike how using Mathematica's front
end is like programming in
| Microsoft Word.  It makes its own style and
indenting choices, and I
| prefer using something like the
syntax-highlighted text editor format
| that most traditional compilers use (e.g. Visual
c++).

| The tabs / spacing,  fonts and colors are never
right.  The non-bold
| fonts look anemic.  I know this sound neurotic,
but I program in Mathematica
| frequently, so it's important.
|
| To add to the problem, Mathematica 5.2 (and
probably earlier releases) has some
| nasty bug in the front end that loses track of
my tabs and other
| whitespaces.  Occasionally (frequently) I have
to cut my code and paste
| it into a text editor and then cut and paste it
back, which destroys
| all my tabs and spacing.
|
| I'd like to get Mathematica to be as similar as
possible to a text-editor
| (preferably with syntax highlighting intact),
but I've never been able
| to get it quite right.    Does anyone know of a
style sheet that does
| this?  Or is there any other way to do it?  I
just want a nice, Courier
| New, 12  or 14 pt. font, with the tabs and
spacing behaving *exactly*
| like they do in a text editor, and with a gray
background.  Exactly how