SetOptions with Column

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64456] SetOptions with Column
  • From: Rob Munger <rob.munger at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 04:12:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello, all,

I am trying to use Mathematica to typeset homework assignments. I'm trying
to use GridBoxes to format multi-line equations of the following sort:
a = b
  = c
  = d
  = e
  = f
Because I use formulas like this a lot, it would be nice if I could get Mathematica to make the default alignment for the columns of GridBoxes to be "Left," instead of "Center." However, when I try to use SetOptions to accomplish this, I get:

In:
SetOptions[GridBox,ColumnAlignments->{Left}]
Options[GridBox,ColumnAlignments]

Out:
{ColumnAlignments->{Center}}

In:
SetOptions[GridBox,ColumnAlignments->Left]
Options[GridBox,ColumnAlignments]

Out:
{ColumnAlignments->{Center}}

My Mathematica abilities are somewhat limited, so I have no idea what is going wrong (or going write, as the case may be). Using Unprotect didn't help.

Any ideas?

I'm using Mathematica 5.1.0.0 on WinXP.

Rob