Re: Using a text editor like interface for Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64437] Re: Using a text editor like interface for Mathematica?
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at cern.ch>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 04:11:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Do any of these text editors provide automatic completion of variable names
with anything defined in the current kernel session (Ctrl-K in the Front
End) and function patterns (Ctrl-Shift-K), automatic selection of syntactic
units (repeated Ctrl-. or mouse-click), Copy Input from Above (Ctrl-L), etc.
etc.?

These allow you to write complicated and correct code with few keystrokes,
in a style which, to me, seems rather different from the way traditional
text editors are used with other programming languages.

The Front End editing problems mentioned in this thread seem minor to me in
comparison with the advantages of those features.

John Jowett

news:dt1d03$6i$1 at smc.vnet.net...