Re: Also force AxesOrigin to be in the lower right corner?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64593] Re: [mg64563] Also force AxesOrigin to be in the lower right corner?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 00:34:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jason,

Right, we don't want the axes cutting through the middle of the data!

The easiest method is to use a two-sided Frame.

dataset = Table[{x, x/2 + Sin[x]}, {x, -5, 5, 0.2}];

ListPlot[dataset,
    Frame -> {True, True, False, False},
    Axes -> None,
    Prolog -> {AbsolutePointSize[3]},
    ImageSize -> 450];

Or with DrawGraphics this could be done more simplt as

Needs["DrawGraphics`DrawingMaster`"]

Draw2D[
    {AbsolutePointSize[3],
      Point /@ dataset},
    Frame -> {True, True, False, False},
    ImageSize -> 450];

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Jason Quinn [mailto:jason.lee.quinn at gmail.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

I want to force the x-axis to lie on the bottom of the graph regardless
of a specific dataset. What's the best way to do this? I've been trying
plotting the dataset and grabbing the lower-right corner of the
plotrange with AbsoluteOptions. This works but seems absurdly
complicated and I feel like I'm missing the forest for the trees. Is
there a better way than this:

firstplot = ListPlot[dataset, DisplayFunction -> Identity];
ListPlot[dataset, AxesLabel -> {"x", "y"}, AxesOrigin ->
{AbsoluteOptions[firstplot, PlotRange][[1, 2, 1, 1]],
AbsoluteOptions[firstplot, PlotRange][[1, 2, 2, 1]]}, DisplayFunction
-> $DisplayFunction];

Jason