Re: Multivariable Limits

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64700] Re: Multivariable Limits
  • From: "David W. Cantrell" <DWCantrell at sigmaxi.org>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 01:49:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Alicia <bgeter at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Yes but the only example that I saw takes two limits of a function, frist
> the limit to x then to y but thats not the same thing as taking the limit
> of both x and y at the same time.

You're right. I don't know how to do what you want in Mathematica.
Anyone: Can it be done?

BTW, be aware that, even for a limit involving just one variable,
Mathematica will always assume a default direction unless, of course, you
have specified one yourself. For example, Limit[Floor[x], x->0] gives 0,
despite the fact that the ordinary (i.e., bidirectional) limit does not
exist.

David