Re: Web Mathematica under Microsoft's Internet Information Server (IIS)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63503] Re: Web Mathematica under Microsoft's Internet Information Server (IIS)
  • From: Dave <INVALID-see-signature-for-how-to-determine at southminster-branch-line.org.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 01:25:28 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steven Shippee wrote:
> I've seen plenty of setup instructions for Web Mathematica for Tomcat, Apache, etc.
> If anyone has it up and running with Microsoft's Internet Information Server
> please email me - thanks in advance,
> slshippee at comcast.net

I think you will have a real hassle with that, since as you say, it is
very much geared to Tomcat. It is not trivial (at least on UNIX) to set
up under Tomcat, so I'd hate the thought of doing it on an MS product.

Since by default Tomcat runs on port 8080, and I assume you run
Microsoft's product on port 80, then assuming Tomcat runs on Windows (I
belive it does), there should be no reason you can not run a copy of
Tomcat on the same machine, with Tomcat serving only your WebMathematica
application on port 8080 and the MS product serving normal the normal
web pages on port 80.

You do *not* need Apache to run Tomcat and hence Mathematica, although
there might be some advantages in using the Tomcat/Apache combination.
One such example would be if you want to password protect directories,
which is easy with Apache, but as far as I know can not be done in Tomcat.

At a later date you might want to upgrade all your web services to
Apache - it does not hold the #1 position just because it is free. There
is plenty of free software that is not as good as the commercial
equivalents (e.g. Mathematica), but in the case of Apache, it is most
popular product because it is the best product.

If I were you, I'd download Tomcat and install it and forget about using
an MS product as a server for WebMathematica.

--
Dave K