Re: Noob ? about Transpose and List Operations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63692] Re: [mg63650] Noob ? about Transpose and List Operations
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 01:48:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Transpose alone performs the operation you want (of interchanging the
"axes").  MatrixForm is just used for display purposes.  As the Help
Browser says:

   MatrixForm acts as a ?wrapper?, which affects printing,
   but not evaluation.

For example:

   B = { {1, 2}, {3, 4} };

   Transpose[B]
{{1, 3}, {2, 4}}

Then MatrixForm[%] will display the result as a matrix.  But probably
you do NOT want to use a Set statement, such as T =
MatrixForm[Transpose[B]].  Rather, if you want to assign the transposed
list to a new name and see it as a matrix at the same time, you could
use, for example:

   T = Transpose[B]; MatrixForm[T]

By the way, I'd be careful about using the notation B' for the name of
the transpose, since the symbol that looks like a prime was probably
typed uisng the single-quote key, and a single quote is one notation for
taking derivatives.  (Mathematica also provides a separate symbol for
prime that you can form by typing either the three-key sequence
Esc ' Esc or else the characters: \[Prime]  (Or you could use a palette
for that.)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305