Re: finding Fourier Series.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63904] Re: finding Fourier Series.
  • From: "Mariusz Jankowski" <mjankowski at usm.maine.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 01:50:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To answer your second question first, in principle, you cannot evaluate the
FFT symbolically, because it is a numerical algorithm for calculating the
so-called discrete Fourier transform (DFT). When you ask for a symbolic FFT
you probably mean the so-called discrete-time Fourier transform (DTFT). To
get this simply use the definition, for example given your specific
sequence,

Sum[ a^n Exp[- I * w * n], {n, 0, Infinity}]

where w is the frequency in radians/second.

To evaluate the discrete-time Fourier series (DTFS) of a periodic sequence
of period N you may use the function Fourier (as DTFS and DFT are closely
related) to get a numerical result. But again to obtain a symbolic result
you should use the definition. For a given sequence x[n] the DTFS X[k] is

 1/N Sum[x[n] Exp[- I*2*PI/N*n*k ], {n, 0, N-1}]

For a review of these topics go to
http://www.usm.maine.edu/~mjankowski/docs/ele314/labs/index.htm

Bye, Mariusz