Re: indeterminate and infinity expressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67615] Re: indeterminate and infinity expressions
  • From: "David W.Cantrell" <DWCantrell at sigmaxi.org>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 06:27:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Søren_Merser <merser at image.dk> wrote:
> I need to evaluate the expression below:
>
> In[1]:= Log[(#/yhat)] + (1-#) Log[(1-#)/(1-yhat)] &  /@  {0,1} /.
> yhat->123 Out[1]= {Indeterminate, -Infinity}

First, Søren, if you really want others to help you, please be much more
careful in your posting. There were several errors.

Evaluating your In[1], exactly as you gave it, returns

{-Infinity, Indeterminate}, which is perfectly correct.

Your claimed Out[1] had the list in the wrong order.

But looking at your In[2], which is missing /. BTW, it seems that your
In[1] was missing an initial # and that yhat was to have been replaced
by .123, rather than 123 .

To get what you want, use Limit. Here's my suggestion:

In[8]:= Limit[x Log[(x/yhat)] + (1-x) Log[(1-x)/(1-yhat)], x->#]
& /@ {0,1} /. yhat -> .123

Out[8]= {0.131248,2.09557}

David