Re: Color names and the 10 elementary colors?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67627] Re: Color names and the 10 elementary colors?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 06:28:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

and "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name> replied:

> Accepting your challenge (somewhat), the first thing I did was type
>
> Green Red Blue Brown Orange site:wolfram.com
>
> into Google. The sixth result was
>
> http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/Built-inFunctions/GraphicsAndSound/Gr
> aphicsPrimitives/Colors/
>
> [which immediately solved the problem].

Ah, fascinating.  Major scientific societies maintain huge online
databases of bibliographic information on the scientific literature
which members can access and search on the society websites, either
through personal subscriptions or through subscriptions that their
company or university libraries take out with the societies.

A few weeks ago I participated in a meeting of a working group on
Information Classification and Retrieval for one of these societies.
During this meeting the society's IT staff presented data on focus
groups they had held with younger researchers (working scientists,
academics, and grad students) as to how they searched for this kind of
information, and also detailed data on where the links into the
society's online databases were coming from.

Bottom line:  Younger researchers overwhelming go straight to Google,
not to the society sites, when looking for scientific information and
bibliographic data; and a vast majority of the incoming links into the
societies' online databases come in through Google, not through the
individual researchers' sites or their company or university
subscriptions to the society databases.

Interesting times . . .