Re: Reasonable integration speed? (24 hrs and counting)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68030] Re: Reasonable integration speed? (24 hrs and counting)
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 05:37:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

ave you considered the possibility, that your
"complex integral" does not have a analytical
solution?

Regards
  Jens

"axlq" <axlq at spamcop.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:e9nkvm$9vo$1 at smc.vnet.net...
|I downloaded the trial version of Mathematica to
see if it could
| solve a complex integral. After getting
comfortable with solving
| simple integrals, I input my target problem:
|
| In[1]:= f[x] = Sqrt[a^2+(q-x)^2]
|
| In[2]:= Integrate[Cos[(2*n + 1)*Pi*x/d]*
|  (Exp[-I*k*f[x]]/(4*Pi*f[x]^5)*((1 +
I*k*f[x])*(2*f[x]^2 - 3*a^2)
|    + (k*a*f[x])^2) * I*d/(2*Pi* w) + p),
{x, -d/2, d/2}]

| Observations:
|
| 1. It's been sitting there for over 24 hours
now.

| 2. Task Manager shows Mathematica's CPU usage at
a constant 50%.

| 3. The "Kernel" pull-down menu has "Interrupt
Evaluation" grayed out.
|   I can abort it.
|
| 4. Mathematica won't solve any subsequent
problem in another window
|   (seems like the first one is occupying a
queue).

| Earlier I tested some simple function-reference
integrals (e.g.
| defining f[x] first and then integrating f[x]dx)
and they worked.

| What sort of speed can I expect from this?  Is
24 hours too long to
| solve a problem like this on a 2.6 GHz Windows
XP platform with 1.25
| GB RAM?  Is Mathematica hung up on something?
Is the fact that I'm
| using the trial version make any difference?
Did I do something