Re: Mathematica DSolve Terminal Boundary- How?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68240] Re: Mathematica DSolve Terminal Boundary- How?
  • From: jesse.woodroffe at gmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 04:48:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ajaz-

In this case,I don't think you'll have any trouble getting Mathematica
to do what you want. Really, initial value is just a bit of jargon.
You'd get the same result by solving the DE in general and then
simultaneously solving the equations to eliminate the DE's constant. No
sweat. Just ask Mathematica to do
DSolve[{y'[t]==f(y[t],t),y[T]==value},y,t]

Now, mathematically, you could just introduce the variable x=T-t and
y'[x]=-y'[t]. Then, once you find the solution for x (since t=T
corresponds to x=0), you could just reverse your substitution. Ah, but
Mathematica's faster, so...

Good luck.

jw