Division by Zero (Error Handling)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66950] Division by Zero (Error Handling)
  • From: Bruce Colletti <vze269bv at verizon.net>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 03:47:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

When dividing (elementwise) two matrices of similar dimension (e.g., A/B), zero-elements in B cause a "division by zero" error message.  In such a case, regardless of numerator, I want the pair's ratio to be zero.

Without building a module that defines modified matrix division, how can I establish that whenever (throughout the notebook) division by zero occurs (regardless of numerator), that the result can be zero?

Thanks.

Bruce