Re: Homotopic algorithm to solve a system of equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66952] Re: Homotopic algorithm to solve a system of equations
  • From: "aTn" <ayottes at dms.umontreal.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 03:47:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thank you for your posts Andrzej. I actually earned my masters degree
doing a thesis on the property P conjecture (a close cousin to the
Poincare conjecture) and more generally on certain homological
properties of branched coverings of 4-manifolds along properly imbedded
surfaces, so I know my fair share of algebraic topology and in
particular, I know what a homotopy is ;)

I'd like to clarify the question so posts can remain on topic.

1) The topic is: Globally convergent probability one homotopy
algorithms to solve systems of equations.

Such algorithms have been known for years. Please don't debate their
existence, just read the litterature on globally convergent homotopy
algorithms.

2) My main question is: Is there a MATHEMATICA package that implements
a globally convergent probability one homotopy algorithm ?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Etienne