Re: Re: Re: Plot Sequencies of Complex Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67093] Re: [mg67045] Re: Re: [mg67034] Plot Sequencies of Complex Functions
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 01:07:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

What do you mean when you ask to "plot" a sequence of complex functions?
  Even what it means to "plot" a single complex function is unclear!  I
presume you are referring to a function from the complex numbers to the
complex numbers, such as is given by f(z) = z^3.  It is impossible to
directly visualize the graph of this function, since that would require
2*2 = 4 real dimensions.  Of course there are various indirect ways to
get at visualizing such a function, such as drawing various curves in
one plane and then showing their images in another plane next to that.
Or, you could draw a 3-dimensional plot of the real part of f(z) as a
function of z along with another 3D plot of the imaginary part of f(z)
as a function of z.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305